PDA

View Full Version : EverQuest becomes "Free to Play"

Imrahil
31-01-2012, 09:11
From EQLive (http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=182856)

Hello everyone - I hope you all are doing well early on in the New Year! With an exciting Veil of Alaris expansion just released in November, we’re thrilled to announce the next big adventure for EverQuest®. After listening to your feedback and suggestions over the past few years, I’m happy to announce that in early March 2012, EverQuest will be going free-to-play.

We’re excited to be expanding the EverQuest experience by making the game more accessible to every type of player so that you can choose to play the game in a way that suits you best. Anyone who wishes to start, return or continue to play one of the “Best Games of All-Time” can simply download and play EverQuest on their terms – think of it as Free to Play, Your Way. Recurring subscriptions, non-recurring subscriptions, Silver or Free memberships, item unlockers, and more. The game will now be setup to be flexible so that *you* can decide how much to pay, based on how much fun you’re having.

EverQuest players are some of the most loyal, long-standing players of any MMO in existence. With the gaming landscape changing every day, we want to ensure we continue to evolve the game to keep players engaged and bring in even more new players to further expand the community. With no up-front costs or required membership, we might see a new player or two along the way, and more people is always a good thing!

Once we go free-to-play, here are some of the upcoming features and events you can expect:

On Friday, March 16th, EverQuest becomes a teenager: 13 years old!!! We will be having some extra added events in the game starting that week leading up to that Friday and we’re introducing some new items within POK to let you know what’s in store.
With the free-to-play launch, a renovated everquest.com website will be unveiled and after that, we will bring you upgraded EQPlayers pages.
We have improved the functionality of our Map system! Some improvements include being able to view appropriate level content for your character on the map, allowing you to find zone lines much easier; and also showing you your wisps on the map to help navigate to where you want to go!

Also at the free-to-play launch, all players will receive a Welcome Pack containing items to add to your gameplay experience. You’ll be able to summon a unique Mercenary to fight by your side and we’re including some Bayle Marks to help pay for the services of your newly summoned Mercenary. A couple of Experience Potions are also included to help you increase your experience gained while adventuring. For all the collectors that like to show off all the great wares to your friends, we’re giving you an item to display in your home and add to your collection. And finally, you’ll be able to customize the appearance of one of your weapons with a Weapon Ornamentation - also included in the Welcome Pack. So be sure to check the claim window for your free gifts.

We, the EverQuest dev team, are very excited about this new flexible system. Free-To-Play is the best fit for EverQuest and we are looking forward to supporting the game and our dedicated fans for years to come. This is a great year for everyone associated with EverQuest and SOE. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what’s coming in 2012.

One last note, we will be doing a Community Webcast on Thursday February 2, 2012 covering all of the exciting free-to-play details. Please be sure to send in any questions you might have via the Facebook page or Twitter so we can respond with answers during the Webcast.

See you in game very soon!

Thom Terrazas

EverQuest Producer
AKA “Phathom”

A few comments from my side:

- this is planned to go live in March 2012
- no one who is currently subscribed will lose anything, you keep you characters, your bags and everything else, current subscribers with a payment plan will get switched to "gold"
- in addition subscribers get 500 SC per month (which CAN be used to buy new expansions)
- people who are not wanting to pay anything will have full access to all zones except VoA (that will still have to be bought), they have limited AA (200), money, bagspace, won't be able to use high end gear etc.
- the RAF program is stopped immediately

Personally I think this is a good move, as it might bring more players into EQ, some old, some new and if people are enoying the game then they can start to pay. Other games have gone a similar way and it might ensure that EQ continues longer than one might have expected.

Songsa
31-01-2012, 09:36
Details here :

http://www.everquest.com/free/

Meemers
31-01-2012, 11:53
is that gold price the same as what we pay right now?
if you stop paying, you lose your rank 5 merc, can't earn more AA's, and can't wear raid gear?

so for raiders, nothing at all changes

Imrahil
31-01-2012, 12:05
@Meemers: From what I have read so far, it seems like that, but I haven't found any longer payment plans yet.

Jolene
31-01-2012, 17:09
In EQ2 it was already changed to play free several weeks ago, nothing changed to payment plan. I logged in, I was platinum status and nothing changed at all.

Kikthin
31-01-2012, 18:16
Well even if for us nothing changes, I like the idea since it can bring new interest into the game and lure people in by having the chance to play it for free to test etc.

To be honest any idea that might bring some people back is good for EQ. So I'll give SOE a :thumbsup: for it.

Genadine
31-01-2012, 18:47
When you actually look at what you get for free;

No VoA = No one to play with
Massive limitation on class
Massive limitation on race
AA Count so small can do it in a weekend and does not really give anyone an idea what they are all about.
No raid gear nothing beyond Rk1 spells

A Crapton of MQ Plat Farmers

Only plus as far as I'm concerned is the free SC we get to put up with the new lows.

Reading on from what devs and CS have posted;

Dev team split on Expn's as we know and trickle feed of new content.

No guarantee of not selling 'Power' in Market Place

Yes alot of negativity but what else do you expect from me :rolleyes:

Kikthin
31-01-2012, 18:52

That's why we love you :handsinair::grimmsmile:

Jolene
31-01-2012, 19:13

That is the reason why we get along very good. You are a "the glas is half empty" and I am a "the glas is half full" person.

I bet in reality we would end like this :drink:

Mephistopheles
01-02-2012, 11:07
What happens to your char if you have Gold sub and decide to stop paying? Will your char magically loose half spells/items/bags/plat? What happens to chars exceeding max number you're allowed to have on the server? What happens to your chars that are race/class combination not included in free subscription?

Meemers
01-02-2012, 11:31
What happens if....

smola !

Xack
01-02-2012, 11:56
That is the reason why we get along very good. You are a "the glas is half empty" and I am a "the glas is half full" person.

I always thought, "Why can't you just take a glass of the proper size in the first place!?" :)

Anyway, i suspect it is done to just give a "teaser". As it is today, if you want to try EQ, you have to buy it - there might be a month or two worth of subscription included in the package, but you have to have money out of your pocket before you can see it.

Now you can just try it out, and if you get hooked, *then* you can decide to throw more money at it.

AFAIK that is pretty much the same with every "free-to-play" game. Yes, you can play the game for free, but if you want to get the full potential of the game, you have pay up...

Abadonn
01-02-2012, 17:35
Only plus as far as I'm concerned is the free SC we get to put up with the new lows.

100 SC says the marketplace prices will be adjusted to compensate the 500 bonus SC / month.

No wait, make that 5000 SC says .. :grimmrun:

Abadonn
01-02-2012, 17:37
To be honest any idea that might bring some people back is good for EQ. So I'll give SOE a :thumbsup: for it.

I don't think the people that play a game "because its free to play" are generally the kind of community members EQ needs.

ps: Naedion R n00b!!!1

Naly
01-02-2012, 18:52
What happens to your char if you have Gold sub and decide to stop paying? Will your char magically loose half spells/items/bags/plat? What happens to chars exceeding max number you're allowed to have on the server? What happens to your chars that are race/class combination not included in free subscription?

By Piestro:

"If you are a silver (or free) member you can still purchase VoA and level to 95. Level is restricted by expansion, not by membership."

Dalsina
03-02-2012, 13:19
http://www.twitch.tv/sonyonlinetv/b/307344328 (http://www.twitch.tv/sonyonlinetv/b/307344328)

Mephistopheles
19-03-2012, 12:26
I got mail from SoE that my account has been restored to silver status. But since it looks like i can't even wear my old gear/augs nor earn any more AA's i guess there's not much point in logging on. :D

Dalrek
19-03-2012, 17:49
I think all the retired people should come back so I have someone to play with during raids! :-)

Mephistopheles
19-03-2012, 19:01
Only if they fully unlock my gear. :)

Dalrek
22-03-2012, 17:04
old shammy Velkoran was online yesterday and he could use his gear after removing augs. Maybe the fix they made in patch about pwersource and gear will fix problems also? But really...your old gear can be replaced by bazaar gear that drop off trash and still be an upgrade :p

Mephistopheles
22-03-2012, 18:02
old shammy Velkoran was online yesterday and he could use his gear after removing augs. Maybe the fix they made in patch about pwersource and gear will fix problems also? But really...your old gear can be replaced by bazaar gear that drop off trash and still be an upgrade :p

It's still MY old gear and i refuse to come back to the game completely naked. :P

And those 150 hp raid augs are kinda hard to let go too :(

Quik
24-03-2012, 21:50
thoose 150 raid augs are completly outdated ). theres better stuff now in group content.

Dalsina
25-03-2012, 10:36
Those Are Prestige Too So Unusable

Dalrek
25-03-2012, 12:46
I know how you feel though. Was weird for me destroying all my Crystallos/Solteris gear and banking a full bag of augs when I re-activated

Biggest problem as I see is cathing up on AAs. I have T1 gear from VoA now, and still trouble tanking T1 HoT xp mobs. All those combat agility, stability etc AAs really lacking. Same DPS wise..

Dalrek
01-04-2012, 10:57
Are All old accountance automatically "reactivated" so you can just log in? Or do you have to actively activate?

Quik
01-04-2012, 15:02
hmm.. not sure i understand. but you can set up autopay , to where it pays everymonth.

Songsa
01-04-2012, 15:27
Last time i checked it was automatic. You can log if you have station name and pass.

Dalrek
01-04-2012, 15:39
Quik, I mean...I think I might have some old login info to other accounts of retired people. If I would be able to log in those and use for buffing for example :-)

Zzlaarr
01-04-2012, 16:49
Not sure if possible after the hacker fiasko of SoE network last year.
Old PW not working anymore probably.

Songsa
02-04-2012, 11:19
Just need to reset the passwords and use new ones.

Dalrek
02-04-2012, 15:44
Yea, worked fine. Funny to see what other people banked so long ago :-)

Aaragonn
07-04-2012, 15:05
Hello friends,

hope my gear is still there, time to log on anyways.
Moving at 01.07. to my new home, so there is light at the end of the tunnel, cant wait to see you all ingame :).

kind regards
Aaragonn

Ninan
07-04-2012, 17:04
Hello friends,

hope my gear is still there, time to log on anyways.
Moving at 01.07. to my new home, so there is light at the end of the tunnel, cant wait to see you all ingame :).

kind regards
Aaragonn

which year, Aaraslakk ?