PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard going tits up?

pizzicato_xev
15-05-2007, 23:08
Nice little article HERE (http://www.notaddicted.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1082) with links to the relevant material...

Sucks to be in Sigil right now (unless your Brad)...

Brosk
16-05-2007, 00:05
And here is what SOE say in relation to it From Vanguard board? (http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=9105)

Jartaxel
19-05-2007, 18:57
I'm not worried , Sigil went belly up long ago, atleast now where SoE is taking over there is now funding to get the game back on track.

Kezia
19-05-2007, 21:51
Kinda disappointing.

In 2003 (when this was announced) the things I saw had me have high hopes for the game.
Then when the beta opened... (in 2006!) and I saw the requirements...

I lagged in char creation. (!!!)
I lagged logging in.
I had to turn *everything* off and I could barely move.
I don't have a shitty computer, I didn't have a shitty graphics card (even if it has imploded since), I most definitely don't lack RAM.
(Bear in mind that I do 3D Renders with more polyglons than most people manage to render in one go.)

I didn't play in the end, I didn't buy.
It's mainly because of that lag, because the requirements just to play (not even with top graphics) were high.

But most of all....

I didn't play because a graphics issue that obliterated all quest text (unless you fiddled with an ini file) went LIVE - even after a fix was pointed out.

Bad bad.

I wonder why Microsoft dropped it... could it be because they foresaw the problems they're having now?

You know the funniest part?

Things I saw suggested by people (including myself back then) - like the "Campfire" idea - made it into EQ instead. (Although in a different form.)

If I remember right, the original idea (which everyone expanded on with ideas) was to have a campfire setup by players. If enough players were there on a long term basis, merchants would appear making the most of an opportunity. The site would get ambushed occasionally and could be taken over by another "faction" of sorts... you could port to it, could act as a safespot (fire deterring enemies and all that) etc
Damn it was fun bashing that one out. :)

Teaann
20-05-2007, 06:22
Agree with Kezia. I have a computer that can have everything on during a raid and no lag at all but when it comes to Vanguard everything needs to be turned down or off.

I find Vangaurd to be 'hollow' too. I cancelled my account and may return someday but will not be anytime soon.

Rummux
20-05-2007, 11:01
In VG world...

dual core 2,4GHz Cpu
2 Gig memmory
512Mb graphic card

...is minimum to run the game at balanced

And its the CPU that lacks in this case, try open a door and see how much cpu performance it takes. In normal zones i can have 60-115 FPS, opening a door the CPU usage goes up to 100% on both cores and i drop down to 8 FPS...

OC the cpu to little over 3GHz and VG runs fine...