Raging Fury

Go Back   Raging Fury > Public forums > General

Old 31-01-2012, 09:11   #1
Imrahil
Administrator

Default EverQuest becomes "Free to Play"

From EQLive

Quote:
Hello everyone - I hope you all are doing well early on in the New Year! With an exciting Veil of Alaris expansion just released in November, we’re thrilled to announce the next big adventure for EverQuest®. After listening to your feedback and suggestions over the past few years, I’m happy to announce that in early March 2012, EverQuest will be going free-to-play.

We’re excited to be expanding the EverQuest experience by making the game more accessible to every type of player so that you can choose to play the game in a way that suits you best. Anyone who wishes to start, return or continue to play one of the “Best Games of All-Time” can simply download and play EverQuest on their terms – think of it as Free to Play, Your Way. Recurring subscriptions, non-recurring subscriptions, Silver or Free memberships, item unlockers, and more. The game will now be setup to be flexible so that *you* can decide how much to pay, based on how much fun you’re having.

EverQuest players are some of the most loyal, long-standing players of any MMO in existence. With the gaming landscape changing every day, we want to ensure we continue to evolve the game to keep players engaged and bring in even more new players to further expand the community. With no up-front costs or required membership, we might see a new player or two along the way, and more people is always a good thing!

Once we go free-to-play, here are some of the upcoming features and events you can expect:

On Friday, March 16th, EverQuest becomes a teenager: 13 years old!!! We will be having some extra added events in the game starting that week leading up to that Friday and we’re introducing some new items within POK to let you know what’s in store.
With the free-to-play launch, a renovated everquest.com website will be unveiled and after that, we will bring you upgraded EQPlayers pages.
We have improved the functionality of our Map system! Some improvements include being able to view appropriate level content for your character on the map, allowing you to find zone lines much easier; and also showing you your wisps on the map to help navigate to where you want to go!

Also at the free-to-play launch, all players will receive a Welcome Pack containing items to add to your gameplay experience. You’ll be able to summon a unique Mercenary to fight by your side and we’re including some Bayle Marks to help pay for the services of your newly summoned Mercenary. A couple of Experience Potions are also included to help you increase your experience gained while adventuring. For all the collectors that like to show off all the great wares to your friends, we’re giving you an item to display in your home and add to your collection. And finally, you’ll be able to customize the appearance of one of your weapons with a Weapon Ornamentation - also included in the Welcome Pack. So be sure to check the claim window for your free gifts.

We, the EverQuest dev team, are very excited about this new flexible system. Free-To-Play is the best fit for EverQuest and we are looking forward to supporting the game and our dedicated fans for years to come. This is a great year for everyone associated with EverQuest and SOE. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what’s coming in 2012.

One last note, we will be doing a Community Webcast on Thursday February 2, 2012 covering all of the exciting free-to-play details. Please be sure to send in any questions you might have via the Facebook page or Twitter so we can respond with answers during the Webcast.

See you in game very soon!

Thom Terrazas

EverQuest Producer
AKA “Phathom”
A few comments from my side:

- this is planned to go live in March 2012
- no one who is currently subscribed will lose anything, you keep you characters, your bags and everything else, current subscribers with a payment plan will get switched to "gold"
- in addition subscribers get 500 SC per month (which CAN be used to buy new expansions)
- people who are not wanting to pay anything will have full access to all zones except VoA (that will still have to be bought), they have limited AA (200), money, bagspace, won't be able to use high end gear etc.
- the RAF program is stopped immediately

Personally I think this is a good move, as it might bring more players into EQ, some old, some new and if people are enoying the game then they can start to pay. Other games have gone a similar way and it might ensure that EQ continues longer than one might have expected.

On my signal NURN!
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:36   #2
Songsa
Social Member

Default Re : EverQuest becomes "Free to Play"

Details here :

http://www.everquest.com/free/
Old 31-01-2012, 11:53   #3
Meemers
Retired Member

Default Re: Re : EverQuest becomes "Free to Play"

is that gold price the same as what we pay right now?
if you stop paying, you lose your rank 5 merc, can't earn more AA's, and can't wear raid gear?

so for raiders, nothing at all changes
Meemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 12:05   #4
Imrahil
Administrator

@Meemers: From what I have read so far, it seems like that, but I haven't found any longer payment plans yet.

On my signal NURN!
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:09   #5
Jolene
Primadonna

In EQ2 it was already changed to play free several weeks ago, nothing changed to payment plan. I logged in, I was platinum status and nothing changed at all.
Old 31-01-2012, 18:16   #6
Kikthin
Social Member

Well even if for us nothing changes, I like the idea since it can bring new interest into the game and lure people in by having the chance to play it for free to test etc.

To be honest any idea that might bring some people back is good for EQ. So I'll give SOE a for it.
Kikthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:47   #7
Genadine
Loner

Default Re: EverQuest becomes "Free to Play"

When you actually look at what you get for free;

No VoA = No one to play with
Massive limitation on class
Massive limitation on race
AA Count so small can do it in a weekend and does not really give anyone an idea what they are all about.
No raid gear nothing beyond Rk1 spells

A Crapton of MQ Plat Farmers

Only plus as far as I'm concerned is the free SC we get to put up with the new lows.

Reading on from what devs and CS have posted;

Dev team split on Expn's as we know and trickle feed of new content.

No guarantee of not selling 'Power' in Market Place

Yes alot of negativity but what else do you expect from me

Genadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:52   #8
Kikthin
Social Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genadine View Post
That's why we love you
Kikthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 19:13   #9
Jolene
Primadonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genadine View Post
That is the reason why we get along very good. You are a "the glas is half empty" and I am a "the glas is half full" person.

I bet in reality we would end like this
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07   #10
Mephistopheles
has fallen to the ground

What happens to your char if you have Gold sub and decide to stop paying? Will your char magically loose half spells/items/bags/plat? What happens to chars exceeding max number you're allowed to have on the server? What happens to your chars that are race/class combination not included in free subscription?

Last edited by Mephistopheles; 01-02-2012 at 11:11.
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote