Raging Fury

Go Back   Raging Fury > Public forums > General

Old 07-01-2010, 00:29   #21
Zorland
Retired Member

Default Re: Black Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genadinee View Post
How can something exist if it has no mass?

Everything must be made up of something else?

Or is there multiple items that simply 'exist' and we have no clue atm how to prove them?
This is a very good question. Why do some particles have mass and yet others don't? In the current theory of particle physics (the standard model) it is the Higgs Field (which is two words for a lot of fancy math). Are we certain this is the way it works? No! We have yet to see the Higgs boson, which is usually just refered to as the higgs. Where might we see the higgs? We hope in our detectors at the LHC. The higgs search is one of the most interesting parts of the research going on at CERN.

Last edited by Zorland; 07-01-2010 at 00:33.
Zorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:22   #22
Mephistopheles
has fallen to the ground

Geek Alarm

Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:48   #23
Jolene
Primadonna

Hello I am a Higgs, they all search for me but hahahaha I have my methods to hide !!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 16:47   #24
Zorland
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Geek Alarm
Well in that case...

Heisenberg is speeding down the road, and a cop pulls him over. The cop says "Sir, do you have any idea how fast you were going?" Heisenberg says "No, but I know exactly where I am."
Zorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 18:45   #25
Jolene
Primadonna

LOL or the question could be, I know how fast I was but I have no idea where I am.

Well that is something that made Einstein uses his famous words. God don't play a dice.

But he does !!!
Old 30-07-2010, 14:35   #26
Grynoldy
Social Member

This is the accelerator Zorland is working on now!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WNcjkZ6d0w&amp;hl=da_DK&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WNcjkZ6d0w&amp;hl=da_DK&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hallowed are the Ori
Grynoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 16:13   #27
Jarasil
Guild Leader

Nice toy
Old 01-08-2010, 00:46   #28
Quorthon
Retired Member

I (and (directly or indirectly) my taxes) are so glad we're fannying around with stuff like this instead of spending time worrying about stuff like war, famine , disease, poverty and death in the world.

I mean come on,

Time travel-

If it were to become possible in the future, what's the first thing you'll do?

You'd pop back to 2010 and wtfpwn this board and 10 gazillion like them with 2nd year students and their "theories" about inside-out toilet roll tubes and such like pish.

I'd also go back to the 1982 and put every bloody penny I had on Grittar to win the national at (initial) sp of 66/1.Or last weeks lottery numbers.

You'd certainly wouldn't (I'd hope) sit on your arse and laugh as X million people die to massive disaster XYZ that could plausibly be avoided with a bit of forewarning.

Co-existence, parrallel universes etc-

Just like when you were 9 and flicked straight to the "shower" section of the Freemans catalogue, first thing you'd do would transmorgify into the bathroom of that ginger lass from Dr.Who's bathroom/bedroom for a wee sneaky look.

probably.

Joking and flippancy aside, there surely is more important things in 2010 to fret about that wee bits of stuff shooting around a glorified scalectrix track.

Isn't there?

Renewable power sources, drought resistant crops, "cures" for cancer and HIV would figure significantly higher on my list to start with, and I'd view "scientific boffin's" time best spent in this direction.

/peace, waves and no apologies for spelling/logic/sense mistakes as just back from pub

Q
Quorthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04   #29
Jolene
Primadonna

And since no one came back and owned this board and no one came back to win the lottery, or to stop a war, or to save the icebears, it never will be possible. Very easy. If it would ever be possible, we would have some kind of tourism already. But we don't.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:37   #30
Klorch Bashlight
Social Member

Ahhh time travel.
Thank you Mr Q for bringing that on.

To back up that Lady over there with the lovely hairstyle, I'd mumble the names of those sci fi authors who imagined the concept of the Watchers : invisible time travelers who cannot interact with their surrounding.

Surely you heard about the tremendous amount of sci fi novels and movies which tried to toy with the quite confusing time travelling concept.

Besides, if time travelling was possible, I would have travelled back in 1990 and tell a certain Lady to go to hell.
But that's another story.

Cheers,

Klorchy